Today, I’m taking a break from interior design to talk about my other favourite topic – delighting our senses. To me, there is nothing more delicious than coming home, kicking off my boots and smelling the sweet smells of home. Whether that’s Paul’s culinary treats or inhaling my own candle creations. I just love to touch, feel and smell beautiful things.
Over the last couple of weeks, I have been experimenting in my kitchen with a few simple and cost effective ideas to bring back those happy, nostalgic memories. So here are three potpourri ideas to warm your heart and your home this winter.
Piña Colada Potpourri
If you want to bring back a summer vibe, this potpourri aroma will deliver. A heavenly scent which will remind you of tropical holidays, cocktails and fun!
- Citrus Slices – oranges, limes and lemons
- Pineapple juice – from a 400gram can
- Coconut essence – about 2 teaspoons
- Fill the saucepan 3/4 of the way up or put in less water if you want a stronger smell
- Add slices of citrus fruit, pineapple juice and coconut essence
- Bring to boil and then let it simmer.
Freshly Brewed Coffee Potpourri
It might seem strange, but I actually hate the taste of coffee. However, I just can’t get enough of the coffee pot smell on Saturday morning. To keep this aroma going all day try this recipe.
- Leftover coffee grinds – about 1 cup
- Cinnamon sticks – 2 or 3 sticks
- Vanilla essence – 2 teaspoons
- Fill the saucepan to 3/4 the way up with water
- Add the coffee grinds, cinnamon sticks and vanilla essence
- Bring to boil and then gently simmer.
Lavender & Rosemary Potpourri
A fragrant, medicinal smell which takes me back to my childhood when mum used to smother my chest in Vicks Vapour Rub. I find this scent comforting and cleansing. This one was especially easy for me as I have a massive rosemary bush out the back. I also have a plentiful supply of lavender essential oils in my candle cupboard.
- Lemon slices
- Rosemary – 2-3 stems
- Lavender – 2 teaspoons essential oil or a bunch of fresh lavender
- Fill the saucepan 3/4 of the way up with water
- Add lemon slices, rosemary & lavender
- Bring to boil and gently simmer.
There you have it! Three easy potpourri aromas that can be found in your garden or your pantry cupboard. Do let me know if you have a favourite? Happy Burning!Join our Newsletter