My kitchen pinny is staying on for another round this week. Today, I would like to share with you three of my top-notch breakfasts. Why are these my favourite? I just
Blueberry & Coconut Porridge
The first recipe is from a health company called BePure. I have adapted it slightly to how we like to enjoy it.
- 1 cup of whole oats
- 1.5 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of coconut cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 dates chopped (depending how sweet you like it)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 banana sliced
- 1/4 cup of blueberries
- Place oats into a medium saucepan with water, coconut cream, cinnamon, salt and honey.
- Bring to boil. Then add the sliced banana and dates.
- Turn down the heat and gently simmer for 10-15 minutes. The oats should be soft and sticky. Don’t forget to stir the pot!
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking time, add in the berries.
- Serve piping hot with your favourite yogurt.
I gave my mum and my friend a jar of this golden goodness. To my surprise, they both promptly asked for the recipe. However, when they looked at the recipe they said forget it! The list might look daunting, but honestly once you do it a couple of times there’s not much to it!
- 4 cups of Rolled Oats
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped crystallised ginger
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
- Pinch of salt
- Turn the oven on to 180 C. Line two baking trays with baking paper. I spray the tray with cooking oil before putting the paper down to stop the granola slopping everywhere.
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Spread evenly over the two trays. Granola needs room to brown up so don’t try and squeeze it all on one tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then give it a thorough mix.
- For the last 8-10 minutes, watch the granola like a hawk. This stuff burns like wildfire!
- Enjoy all week long with your topping of choice.
Apple Crumble Porridge
This lucky last recipe is actually my own creation which evolved one Friday morning when we had nothing in the cupboard. It’s so easy and reminds me of eating a delicious Sunday crumble.
- 1 cup of porridge oats
- 2 cups of water or milk
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- A sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of sultanas (more or less to your liking)
- Honey to serve at the end
- Combine oats and water/milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add apple, cinnamon, sultanas and simmer for a couple of minutes until the apple is soft.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving with milk and a good dollop of honey.
Bon AppétitJoin our Newsletter